View Single Post
Old 06-21-2021, 08:22 PM   #11
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I totally agree with Tex...especially for a full html website. But, for an ePub, I still don't like the look of large tables (more than 2-3 columns) on small screens (think phones in portrait mode).
Read those Tables threads. All pros/cons of HTML Tables vs. Images-of-Tables are discussed at length.

The HTML advantages of Accessibility + TTS + searchability + copy/pastability + following user settings... outweigh the pros of static images. (Wow, "it looks the same" as the print book + I can use the background as a flashlight! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
You just get too squished, or columns run off the page, or font has to be too small to fit everything...
This is one of the few cons, but even this has been mitigated in the past few years with better readers.

Like Kindle now allows you to expand/scroll large tables (similar to zooming + panning/scanning large resolution images).

I believe Kobo has similar functionality too.

You also have rotatable devices, so some can be flipped to landscape temporarily if you stumble across a wide table.

And on wide tables...

Transposing/Verticalization, where you flip the X- + Y-axis, can also be used. For example:

6x3

Code:
Name    Color  Cool?  Number  Tabs  # Teas
Tex     Red    Very        1    15      30
Turtle  Gray   Meh         2    99       5
3x6

Code:
Name    Tex   Turtle
Color   Red   Gray
Cool?   Very  Meh
Number     1    2
Tabs      15   99
# Teas    30    5
You may want to do this in your ebooks if you get to ~4-5+ columns, depending on the data.

Me and Hitch also discussed that (I believe in those same linked threads).

Print books are also limited by vertical size of the page, hence more horizontal tables.

Ebooks have infinite verticality, but limited horizontal space (skinny cellphones + large fonts), hence vertical tables may be better.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 06-21-2021 at 08:47 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote