View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #70
berend
berend began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX
Hello all,

I am new to this forum. I live and work in Holland and as I am a programmer I was as a matter of course attracted to this thread. I write ASP.Net and Windows software though. My unix experience is very long ago, I last worked with it in 1993. So I am supposed that am as big a n00b as anyone concerning embedded linux.

I bought my kindle dx through our US office in Peachtree City, near Atlanta GA and it was registered and downloaded a few freebies while it still was located in the USA. Since then, I have bought some stuff and downloaded it through the "manage your kindle" web page.

I would be very interested in this USB networking stuff, if it would allow me to emulate the whispernet for downloading books. Is that possible at all? (only answer "yes" please if you actually successfully downloaded a book via the usb network). I am not really interested in browsing the kindle shop from my kindle, I do have a browser on my PC, thank you very much .

I have a few more technical questions too.
- For starters: there is no official firmware update for the Kindle DX yet. Is an image of the unhacked firmware 2.1.337560062 available for reverting if I would run into trouble with any other firmware that I use?
-What about using the usb networking firmware on an already registered Kindle DX like mine. Do I run the risk of losing the registration?
- I don't really know this, but I am assuming that books I buy through the Kindle store are DRM-protected and will only open on my Kindle. Is that the case? If yes, how does the device check the digital rights? Is that locked to a hardware ID (similar to a mac address) or is there a piece of software like a license file that should remain unaltered?
- Could someone provide a more technical explanation of what exactly is needed for succesfully routing IP through my PC to the internet? I am using Windows XP both at home and in the office. In the office I can configure the dhcp server and -if I absolutely need to- the cisco router at will, but at home I unfortunately have an Alcatel SpeedTouch adsl router that is completely locked down by the provider. It does not allow any use of fixed ip addresses, which is sometimes damned inconvenient.

If there are some adjustments needed to configuration files on the kindle and they could be manipulated from Windows-based software to make the networking function predictably, I would be willing to write a GUI-frontend to do so, to make this stuff more accessible to n00bs like myself. I am a good programmer, I am just not very fond of linux and command line stuff . I would prefer to automate things if remotely (pun intended ) possible.