View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 02:59 AM   #62
Acextreme
Enthusiast
Acextreme began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by imode View Post
Couple of additional items. Once you are able to get a root shell you need to edit:

/opt/amazon/ebook/config/framework.mario.conf

Look for "USE_WAN" and set it to false.

Next type the following:

1. mntroot rw
2. vi /etc/resolv.d/resolv.conf.default
3. add the line: nameserver <your DNS IP>

Note: You need to use the "vi" editor to edit both files so I suggest reading up on vi commands before you try this (just google search "vi")

Then type "reboot" at the command prompt. After that you should now be able to use all of the web services through your PC/Mac network. To verify, after reboot setup usbNetwork (it is NOT necessary to use the `usbQa command anymore, in fact don't). Telnet into the kindle and try: ping google.com If it works then everything is setup. I suggest reading this entire thread a few times, you'll find all the tips you need to get this setup
Well, I managed to do what you mentioned, as well as reading the past posts but still can't connect. I guess it's due to my lack of understanding, so there is a couple of things that I would like to clarify.

(1) What does USE_WAN do? By setting it to false, my attempts to connect to the Kindle store still prompts me to enable wireless or it will refuse to connect.

(2) I vi /etc/resolv.d/resolv.conf.default and added the line "nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" without the quotes, is this format correct or should it be "nameserver <xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx>" without quotes but with the < and >?

And I was also thinking of doing the usbnetwork autostart script found here just to make sure that I am insured against bricking the Kindle since I was thinking of installing ebs's "last page" screensaver hack:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
If you are seriously playing with internal Kindle software (e.g. mucking with java stuff), I recommend making usbnetworking "auto-startable". Otherwise, if you corrupt something in framework, you'd need serial console for recovery.
Add this simple script to /etc/init.d:

Code:
[root@kindle init.d]# cat /etc/init.d/usbnet
#!/bin/sh

_FUNCTIONS=/etc/rc.d/functions
[ -f ${_FUNCTIONS} ] && . ${_FUNCTIONS}

US_ENABLE=/mnt/us/usbnet/AUTO

case "$1" in

start)
                if [ -f ${US_ENABLE} ]; then
                        /mnt/us/usbnet/usbnetwork
                else
                        msg "not usbnet" I
                fi
        ;;

stop)
                ;;
        *)
                msg "Usage: $0 {start|stop}" W >&2
                exit 1
                ;;
esac

exit 0
And then make it start-up script:
Code:
[root@kindle rcS.d]# ls -al /etc/rcS.d/*usbnet
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Jan  2  1970 /etc/rcS.d/S72usbnet -> ../init.d/usbnet
After that, you'll be able to enable usbnetworking automatically by creating file "AUTO" in "usbnet" directory on user partition

But unfortunately, I was again unsuccessful. I read up a bit on linux start-up script and symbolic linking but am not sure if I had done right. This is what I did:

(1) vi /etc/init.d/usbnet and since that does not exist, I was allowed to create it. I then typed in the script as so and :w to save and :q to quit:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

_FUNCTIONS=/etc/rc.d/functions
[ -f ${_FUNCTIONS} ] && . ${_FUNCTIONS}

US_ENABLE=/mnt/us/usbnet/AUTO

case "$1" in

start)
                if [ -f ${US_ENABLE} ]; then
                        /mnt/us/usbnet/usbnetwork
                else
                        msg "not usbnet" I
                fi
        ;;

stop)
                ;;
        *)
                msg "Usage: $0 {start|stop}" W >&2
                exit 1
                ;;
esac

exit 0

(2) To make the start-up symbolic link, I did this:
Code:
root@kindle root]# ln -s /etc/init.d/usbnet /etc/rcS.d/S72usbnet

(3) Next, I restart my Kindle and created a blank content file called AUTO in the usbnet directory of Kindle's mass storage drive; to make sure that the file is unix style, I used EditPadLite (which supports Unix files) and open the usbnetwork file (the one I had problems earlier) and removed all contents within and save it as AUTO so as to ensure that the execution bit if needed is there.

Unfortunately, restarting my Kindle did not automatically start the usbnetwork mode. The symbolic link that I created in (2) was supposed to be the last file to be executed since it's S72 (and ebs used that too) and hence whichever service that it needs prior to its execution should already be up running.

For (3), I also attempted creating an AUTO file with the line AUTO in it but still not successful. When I plug in the usb cable right after restarting, I am still connected via usb mode.

Is there anything I did wrongly or did I miss out something?