View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 04:52 PM   #59
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not bothering to define "using". You're the one who seems to think that "using Linux" needs to inherently mean some deeper understanding of the OS than "using Windows" does—or "using iOS" or "using android" does. Use means use. Nothing more nothing less. It all begins with becoming familiar with the interface, which in turn begins by "just using it."
You believe OP only wants to know enough to run desktop apps?
That's the only level of "user-ship" it takes to get Linux running on an eReader?

Quote:
I don't know what you're trying to say here.
That using a smart phone or tablet is closer to using a consumer appliance than using a general purpose computer OS.

Quote:
Again ... I fail to understand why you think being comfortable with all the options/variations/command-line/configuration-files is "required" to "use" Linux. Nor why even if someone DID want to become proficient at that sort of stuff, that they still couldn't best begin that journey by "just using it"? You can install|launch|use|update programs (or update the OS) without ever opening a command-line or editing a configuration file.

For some strange reason, you seem to believe that "using Linux" equals "system administration" while "using Windows" equals "farting around on the internet and checking email." And for the life of me, I don't understand why. "Using" both can be as simple or as complex as the needs/desires of the user in question. And it all begins with "just using it."
That's not been my experience, neither personally, nor from observing other users.

Perhaps it boils down to standardization. There are fewer variations, so more standardization on how common things are done, and those things have been made very easy to do, and to find.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote