View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Post Fixing Up Typography

Greetings,

I find reading eBooks with sloppy or otherwise subpar typography to be unpleasant. However I have no crazed notions that volunteer editors/converters owe me any specific level of typographic sophistication, and I accept that I will likely have to take matters into my own hand.

My question is, am I better off converting existing eBooks into some editable format (like Project Gutenberg's EPUBs), do my fixing, then convert them back; or is it better to just work straight from the plaintext and make my own eBooks from scratch?

Obviously I am looking to minimize my work and maximize the typographic quality. So please answer my question with that in mind. I should note though that I already tried calibre, and I don't think its conversion feature goes far enough for what I want.

I have this dream about creating a clever Python parser/converter that takes Project Gutenberg text files and creates typographically gorgeous 4.9" by 6.9" PDF files from them via XeLaTeX (to take advantage of a few high quality OTF fonts I have). However any such project will doubtless require a lot of work before it gets past the point of every new file thrown at it resulting in flawed output (i.e.: until the source code is expanded to account for said new files own little idiosyncrasies).

So in the meantime though, I would be grateful for any tips, tricks, and suggestions that are more grounded and achievable.

Sincerely,

AHI
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote