View Single Post
Old 06-21-2014, 12:42 AM   #63
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I had a print book library of about 2,000 books. One of the things that greatly appealed to me was the idea that I could carry my entire library of ebooks with me. My "Reading Now" collection on the Kindle has about 100 books just in it. I'm never just reading one. I sample several at a time.
Here is my argument: The first Kindles had more storage for smaller size books. Now we have ebooks that have much more formatting and larger file sizes, but Amazon has cut the Kindle storage size in half. That is a problem for some of us. My wife reads just one, and only one book at a time, and I get that, but not everyone reads that way.
My bigger concern with Amazon right now is that they are, seemingly, pushing people further and further into their ecosystem. Prime is practically shoved down our throats now, and I see a day coming when anyone who really wants access to Amazon is going to 'need' Prime. Amazon uses a half-dozen different ebook file types. There really is no reason why they could not use Epub like nearly everyone else does. Finally, it is all about the Cloud. They honestly do not want you to have over a thousand books on your ereader. They eventually will want you to buy cloud storage from them. Same with Google to be fair. Like Amazon, you don't see sdcard slots on their tablets either.
Maybe I'm a control freak, but I would rather keep my ebooks on my ereader, and I've been rethinking the whole "locked-in" situation and trying to figure out where I want to invest, and why, when it comes to ebooks in particular, but also with movies and music. I think across the board there will be big changes as everything is eventually in the cloud and we will pretty much own nothing, and be paying rent on the things we do 'own'.
Rant over with :-)
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote