View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #74
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
It seems two years is looking like the consensus.

Valid point. I just thought of it at that moment, and hesitated to offer it. I too like the idea of whoever wins choosing one book and that's it.

However, if the person has a few choices they like and want everyone else's opinions on which to choose, I don't see the harm in putting them to a poll if that's what the winner wants and if they're all considered literature and confirmed first. It would be a legit vote though, so the winner of the poll would be our monthly selection regardless. I see that as a much better alternative to the winner discussing options in the thread before making a decision (although if the winner wanted to do that, it'd be their prerogative).

I'm open to what everyone thinks about the possibility of a winner deciding to do a winner-selected poll on lottery months. I could go either way on it. I don't see any harm in the option (one person deciding the options for the rest of us to vote on could be fun), but I do see the possibility of the process becoming more confusing, since each option would need confirmed first.
I maintain the opinion that this is not necessary. Just consider it in the process of choice by the winner. The winner should be able to use whatever procedure he sees fit, according to the goals. I choose A Passage of India because I think it is worth, because I want to read it, because I want to discuss it, and because I had doubts about other possibilities, that could have been more challenging. Saramago's work is probably more appealing to some, but his language might be repulsive to others, that is why I sent out a feeler. Why should a winner be limited in the means he feels necessary in order to make a choice that is interesting for the other members? Why make it harder for him? Why put limits further than the 3 days as has been set already?

In any case you are the boss, and you choose whatever you like. It is not a big deal. Thank you for the nice way you are running this.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote