Thread: Does kobo spy?
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2024, 10:46 AM   #19
Apollyon202
Apollyon202 doesn't litterApollyon202 doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara HD, Aura, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny View Post
It's hilarious but also borderline concerning the level of paranoia that some people have regarding their OPsec. *Note* I agree that keeping good OPsec is a necessity especially when acquiring "sideloaded books".

Outside of that, I can pretty much guarantee that no agency/company has the bandwidth or resources to track individual user reading habits for incriminating habits. If anyone is truly concerned about privacy then they should also be aware that creating an account on a public forum, making a thread, commenting on posts has already started a paper trial (i.e. email used to register account, IP tracking/VPN usage on site visits, grammar patterns in posts/comments, etc.).

Take off the tin foil hat and relax, you won't be on FBIs most wanted list for reading your books.
If using Kobo in sideloaded mode is considered paranoia, then be my guest. You would be surprised to learn that companies do have the resources to collect user data. The general practice today for companies is to mine all user data, no matter what. It does require a lot of resources, though everything is fully automated now, and they profit immensely from it.

Why should one worry about their data being used for marketing purposes? Well, for one thing, you might start receiving spam calls, texts, emails, etc. But on the other hand, you actually don't know what is happening with your data. Or do you?
The big agencies even collect every single encrypted data on the principle of "collect now, decrypt later."

Why would they put in such huge efforts to collect every piece of data about you especially when it's on a state level? Because they aren't going to do anything with it, ever?
Well, making forum posts about privacy hopefully won't lead to trials in the future. Although I wouldn't publish my political views on the internet, even if I had any.)

Last edited by Apollyon202; 04-09-2024 at 12:50 PM.
Apollyon202 is offline   Reply With Quote