View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #32
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
The Inter-Book Search is interesting BUT ...

I have an #origtitle column that I filled up prior to mass downloading metadata. Now, I want to compare the current title with what it was, case being ignored. I do this because the amount of picking the wrong book in mass meta downloading is getting out of control. I know that there will be a fair number of 'false' positives where an apostrophe might be added, but a cursory manual glance at the results SHOULD show me where the meta data download has, in fact, grabbed the WRONG book's meta data. I can then manually go through and correct them.

That's what I WANT to do. But every time I select Inter-Book Search and change the for each Book to the proper respective titles, I also change the middle column to NOT. I'm assuming that's what I want. BUT, when I click the Execute Search (All Books), it jumps back to AND. And THAT does not get me what I want.

Intriguingly, the result IS interesting. I get the books that have Multiple instances of that title. I ended up with three 'sets' of books. In two pairs, the same title was used by two different authors. In the other instance, I had found two different formats of the same book. Thus, I was able to prune the dupe. Not a bad accidental result.

BUT, is it possible to get what I was hoping? (and shouldn't conditions that change upon clicking an execute button, at least pause to inform the user why and offer a cancel opportunity?)

So, to be clear for reproduction: I check ON Inter-Book Search, change the Left column For Each Book field to title. I change the Right column For Each Book field to #origtitle. I click the NOT radio button in the centre. Then I click the Execute Search [All Books] button. The radio button changes to AND and proceeds, taking, in my trial case, 303.656 seconds. There does not APPEAR to be any way to cancel the search.

Thanks for this tool. I have the impression it WILL be a wonderful tool once I understand the intracacies. Indeed, I tried using title in both For Each field, finding all the books that DO have duplicated titles. (It DID allow me to fix SOME of the metadata'd changed titles BACK to the correct one and then do a manual update) Does MCS use exact (or case ignored) searching, or does it use the same fuzzy searching calibre uses, ignoring starting articles in the title?

Appreciate your time and efforts, as always, GM

Last edited by Gary_M_Mugford; 11-25-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote