View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #15
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Kobo never check your email details, so you can get round the set up screen by downloading the Kobo desktop, then signing up with a totally fake email (google to check that this email address doesn't exist). Something like stupidface@kobo.com (I haven't checked this).

I know this because it was suggested to me on the Kobo part of mobileread when I wanted to put public domain epubs onto a kobo reader I'd bought for a friend. It worked. I managed to get the reader working without ever connecting it to wifi, instead I used a usb cable attached to my computer. I put books onto it using this cable.

There does seem to be a reluctance among the upcoming ereader population to be "spied upon". This can't be done if you keep your ereader in aeroplane mode (wifi switched off). These companies aren't psychic!

Edit: I've checked the email address, it doesn't exist.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote