View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
It seems to me that Amazon is leaving money on the table with this decision. While the Paperwhite no longer goes on sale every month or so, it's very likely that it will be available for about $100 (or even less) in the near future. The pricetag of $150 to upgrade, i.e., 150% of the potential price of the Paperwhite) is going to be a reach too far for a lot of buyers, even those with the available funds. But perhaps they could be lured by splitting the difference, with a premium device for $175? Certainly Kobo seems to have had success with that strategy.

I suspect that Amazon is content to let the Paperwhite continue as a cash cow of sorts and doesn't want to invest in development only to cannibalize Paperwhite sales. Especially since there are presumably few new purchasers out there and none of them will be enticed to go higher than the basic or the Paperwhite.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote