View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
As you say, HTML is one of the best formats if you want to avoid vendor lock-in. Some of the posters of e-books avoid HTML because it is easy for moochers to take the cleaned-up HTML, convert it to a DRMed format and charge for the result. They put in the work, so whatever restrictions they want are ok.
But following that logic, the folks in Distributed Proofreaders and at Project Gutenberg shouldn't do it, because moochers will grab their work, issue it in a different form, and attempt to sell it. They put in substantial work in cleanup, proofreading and editing, even if the material is in the public domain to begin with, and willingly donate their time and effort.

I can't agree with the folks who won't post HTML because they are afraid of moochers. I see the point as getting the material out there so others can get it. If you want to specifically do a conversion for a device you happen to have as a service to others using that device, fine. If you avoid posting in particular formats because you are afraid of moochers, I think you may be missing the point.

Quote:
This does not at all imply that you should not post HTML, and I encourage you to continue to do so. Thanks for the Barsoom series, it works very nicely with FBReader and, as DMcCunney mentioned, simple HTML is an excellent starting point for Plucker.
Simple HTML is the only starting point for Plucker.

There have been discussions on the Plucker dev list about expanding it to handle other formats like text, possibly through plugins, but that would require substantial changes to the underlying architecture of the applications. I'm not holding my breath...
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 09-03-2007 at 04:27 PM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote