View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 04:40 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Glad you liked *Silenced Cry*, Mcspice. Good luck with *The Devil Can Wait*, and please don't hesitate to drop a line if any other titles interest you. The third in Marta Stephens' Sam Harper series will be out next year, by the way, so just holler when it's released and I'll send it to you.

When we opened BeWrite Books eight years ago, we decided to cover every paperback with a digital version. Although we were dreaming of an e-reader future, at the time, ebooks tended mainly to be read on PC or laptop screens, so we decided PDF was the format best suited to the job. Crisp, perfect layout, bright full colour covers, etc.

Now that e-readers are becoming so much more popular, though -- it seems, as we hoped, that e-reader use would be exponential -- we're gearing up to offer a variety of formats. After these opening years, we've just changed jockeys on the technical side, so there's been a wee bit of a delay in putting this plan into practice, but we hope to have at least ePub available before Christmas.

For forty-some years, I've been a pro writer/editor, and I'm not too clued up on the technical side of things. I only realised that PDF formatting could sometimes come unstuck when I laid hands on my first e-reader (PRS-505) earlier this summer and joined the MR forums. The advice here has been tremendously generous ... and practical to boot. We owe ya.

Whatever the format, the bargain basement price will remain on our own wee website at www.bewrite.net (and free ebooks to MR members), though our outside retailers -- all the usual suspects -- will continue to slap on their own cover prices, which I don't always agree are justified.

One wee problem we have is with Kindle. Amazon stopped selling the ebook versions of our titles when their ereader was launched. To make our books available for Kindle, we have to open a US office, which ain't no easy job when the company is Europe-registered with its partners and pfofessional staff in Germany, France, UK and Canada. Maybe things will change when/if Amazon keeps its promise to launch Kindle outside the United States. Fingers crossed.

Cheers for now. And thanks to everyone for the interest you've shown. I've sent out more than a hundred ebooks to fellow MR members so far, and there's no way with digital copies that I can say 'hurry while stocks last', so please feel free to drop me a line any ol' time if one or more of our titles takes your fancy. Best wishes. Neil

Last edited by neilmarr; 09-24-2009 at 04:44 AM.
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote