View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
jibanes
jibanes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Sony PRS-505 "upgrade", need 9+ inches screen.

Hello,

I have this PRS-505 which I run the notably famous custom firmware on, and I really like it, it's been my companion for many years and it's really a great reader, in my humble opinion.

The issue is not the reader, it's my eyes, which are not as good as they used to, this being said, the screen is too small, and magnifying the text is sometimes awkward, I would really prefer a larger reader, so I could maintain the full page size and this way, not interfer with the reading flow (lots of what I read are technical documents which are not proper to resizing).

As such, there's a few options available, Onyx/Icarus, Ectaco, or wait.

I need something 9+ inches, and thin, good build, with a very long battery life (I spend a lot of time in power-less places), I don't really think color would give me anything (I don't have color documents), and my budget is $500. I read mostly PDFs, but not exclusively, Wifi is a big plus, especially if it can be disabled to save battery life, audio capabilities (text-to-speed, and playing audiobooks/mp3) would be very useful, and finally, using large memory cards (32GB) would be fantastic. I have read that the Onyx has many "firmware" issues, which the PRS-505, along with the custom firmware doesn't have much of.

I would really like a screen of as high quality as the PRS-505 itself, I don't want to give up this quality, so if I have to get a color one to reach this quality, then so be it; but if not, please let me know which would work best for me.

Last edited by jibanes; 07-30-2013 at 01:03 PM.
jibanes is offline   Reply With Quote