View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #439
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Seems like your issue is pricing, not DRM. You want to pay used paperback prices for one-time right to read a book.

DRM issues--lost access, bookstores going out of business or discontinuing support for a format, inability to move books to a different device--none of that should be a concern for someone who reads only once. Sounds like you'd be happy to read books in the cloud, for that matter.

I have a totally different mindset. I bought it, I own it, I keep it. Once I've paid for the book, it's up to whether I want to use it or not. DRM interferes with that use.
I hate DRM with a passion, but I have no issues with it for a rental service. If they want to rent a book to me for $1 and DRM it, that's fine. Easier than going to the library, cheaper than a used bookstore.

It's charging purchase price, and pretending it is ownership, while effectively turning into a rental with DRM that aggravates me.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote