View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
My recent experiences with the UK's National Health Service (NHS).

Recently my mother has needed a hearing aid. Audiology service was excellent, took six weeks from diagnostic appointment to fitting. No charge - replacement batteries are free. The quality of the device seems extremely good - we were told it costs £1800 if brought privately. My mother is delighted with the service she received.

A few years ago my father was stricken with a mental illness. The treatment the NHS provided was appalling. He was given different diagnoses over several years, none of the treatments helped, his condition deteriorated and he was placed in residential care. His life savings were used to pay the cost, he didn't get any help beyond basic care (feeding, washing etc.) He was eventually hospitalised, they tried to discharge him when he was in no fit state to go because they needed the bed. When we saw the condition he was in the departure room, we were shocked they thought he was well enough to leave. A nurse agreed and got him readmitted. He died in hospital a few weeks later.
To be honest, if I was in the same position as my father at the start of his illness, with the prospect of the same level of NHS treatment, I think I'd opt to take matters into my own hands rather than endure it.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote