View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #399
gstew
gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: HTC HD2 & One X
Cool By evening Friday, I had 896 items in my B&N bookshelf...

If it was a linear conversion, I'd have all but 6 items! YAAAYYY!

But it wasn't.

I spent time that evening and part of Saturday to create a checklist of all my Fictionwise & EReader books/mags/stories & reconcile that with the B&N bookshelf.

First, I saw 6 items in the B&N bookshelf twice.

Second, I found 4 items that I purchased from both EReader & Fictionwise... easy to do back in the day after Fictionwise had purchased EReader (Or Palm Reader or whatever it was back then) and they had much of the same stock, but two separate and uncoordinated wishlists. Of course, these only converted into one B&N bookshelf item.

Third, I found 17 F-Wise/EReader items missing. Interestingly, only one was on the Unavailable Fictionwise Titles list!!! And of course, several items I own that were on the list did convert ok.

Here's what I have missing at this time:

The Year's Best Science Fiction (2001), Gardner Dozois

Ace in the Hole [Wild Cards #6], George R.R. Martin

Aces Abroad [Wild Cards #4], George R.R. Martin

Down & Dirty [Wild Cards #5], George R.R. Martin

Jokers Wild [Wild Cards #3], George R.R. Martin

Songs of Earth and Power: The Infinity Concerto and The Serpent Mage, Greg Bear

The Time Machine, H G. Wells

Mindbridge, Joe Haldeman

Nikko's Dream, Joe Hutsko

Science Fiction: The Best of 2003, Karen Haber

Science Fiction: The Best of 2004, Karen Haber & Jonathan Strahan

Borrowed Tides, Paul Levinson

The Consciousness Plague [Phil D'Amato Story 4], Paul Levinson

Science Fiction: The Best of 2001, Robert Silverberg & Karen Haber

Science Fiction: The Best of 2002, Robert Silverberg & Karen Haber

The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth, Roger Zelazny

A Fire Upon the Deep: Special Edition eBook, Vernor Vinge

Anyone else gotten any of these transferred? Interesting that all but 2 are EReader purchases. Also interesting that of the ones that are part of a series, only the series 'Science Fiction: The Best of NNNN' did not transfer in its entirety... all the other series, some transferred, some didn't. HUH?

Finally, with most of my bookshelves tranferred, I went through my wishlists to see what would be available on B&N. I found a number of short stories and a few longer works that are not in B&N's stock, so I did a quick purchase last night. We'll see if B&N has their act together enough to get these... or if I have to jog them. Just in case, I went through the opt-in process again and re-submitted all of my opt-in codes.

And I also had a number of back-issues of SciFi magazines on my wishlists... mainly AEon, Interzone, and The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. I thought I'd go through those today and order the key ones from Fictionwise, but that was not to be! Even though they state "The last day of sales has been extended to midnight Eastern Standard Time on December 9, 2012. After December 9th, Fictionwise/eReader will no longer sell digital content." and those magazines were available on Fictionwise on Dec 8, they had cut over to pointing to only B&N stocked items by morning Dec 9 and they were gone! Hmph!

The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction is available at Amazon, so I'll get them there. Anyone know where I can buy digital copies of AEon and Interzone?

All in all, for me at least and some others posting here, this is moving towards a qualified success instead of the unmitigated train wreck it was at the beginning. I sure hope everyone who wants their books transferred gets them. It would be really helpful if B&N started a thread on their forums to allow people who have issues to post them and get answers directly from the conversion team... at least that way they'd keep us somewhat informed.

I'll update later this week or when more items appear at B&N in my bookshelf, whichever comes first!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. I know that the numbers of books transferred that I list don't add up... not sure where I missed something or if the B&N bookshelf count is off (it might be... it did not go up after I bought two more items there today), but at least before someone points that out, I see that too.
gstew is offline   Reply With Quote