View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #28
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
What is the point of watermarking? Is it just something that will allow the uploaders to file-sharing sites to be identified?

But isn't there still the problem of trying to identify all the pirated files in the first place out of the thousands and thousands of files on such sites?

It seems like watermarking wouldn't be onerous for the average person, but unless my understanding of it is flawed, it still seems rather useless.
I think it is also a "subtle" reminder for the reader that the book is sold to ONE person, and that while sharing is possible, it should be restricted to close ones.

Yes, I know, you precise word-nitpickers will point out that in fact the book is not what's sold, that would be the license to read the book... And that's absolutely right.

As a customer, I quite understand the difference between buying a book and buying a personal, non-resellable license to read the ebook, but I consider that --with conditions, one of them being no cryptography based DRMs-- taken in balance with all other pros and cons of ebooks, such a change is acceptable to me.
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote