Thread: Aura HD Setting up new Kobo
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #17
navderek
navderek began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Very few IP networks do not use DHCP -- when you have a few thousand machines, using static addresses is a short cut to a I-love-myself jacket. If you need a static address for connecting to your Kobo ereader, use it's MAC address and set a DHCP reservation for it. This also makes it easier if you want to connect to another network outside your home since you don't need to muck with the networks settings every time.

Regards,
David
Whatever David. I have 20+ devices at home and your telling me because I should go around to each and every one and reconfigure them so the Kobo can work? Sorry I'd rather keep the jacket on...lol
THe point is that static IP config on a device is not a special feature. All the SW devs need to do is show the fields in the GUI and allow write access. DHCP is basically doing the same thing, just automatically with negotiation. Why could they not just allow the user to configure it manually...seems very strange.

Someone also mentioned that I am a minute few...I'd disagree and also I'd say that the Kobo eReader not allowing static IP config is a minute few. I don't recall ever seeing a device that didn't have static IP option.

Finally, how was I to know that the Kobo would be like this. Someone mentioned that all Kobo's are like that. I only saw the many forum post complaint after I bought it (my first eReader). I'm not the only one complaining about it that's for sure, just do some google searches!
navderek is offline   Reply With Quote