View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 12:00 AM   #27
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Better step over to the Kindle forum. (Or for the real experience, try the Irex forum!) You can see incessant comments like:

the Kindle needs color
page turns are extremely slow
the contrast is no good
PDF handling is no good
the browser is slow
etc, etc, etc

and guess what? Nobody is complaining! Such comments are good, because people who think about buying a device need the whole story. Not just glowing assessment about why Apple was right not to include a certain feature, but rather a serious discussion on how you can work around those problems. Why is the Apple forum the only forum where people try to shut others up for voicing some honest criticism? And yes, some points may be repeated by other users who have not read through every post on every thread. So what? I am studying the iPad threads because I have some interest in it and want to find out more -- good and bad. For example, I don't just want to hear "you don't need flash", I want to know if anything can be done about it.
So if someone goes to the Kindle forums, a place where people who gladly paid for their Kindles, read on eInk screens, and believe they are excellent for reading, and posts "how can anyone possibly read on those crappy eInk screens? They are terrible for reading. No one could possibly enjoy it-you are wasting your money, but then again, Bezos can sell those idiots anything", and then argues with people who DO enjoy their Kindles...you think that is constructive criticism and contributes to a healthy forum discussion? Personally I'd get tired of it, and not really enjoy visiting after a while. But you say no one complains?

But hey, maybe we are just looking for different things in a forum. I prefer to find out about a product from people who have used it, and are familiar with it. And I prefer to contribute to a forum that is more positive in nature, even with the positives and negatives being discussed about any product.

As I've said before, and I'll say again, I don't mind reading constructive criticism, and discussions of the positives and negatives of the iPad or the iPhone. I'm interested in why others will or won't buy a specific product, and what features they want or need. And I love to debate the issues with people who enjoy debating the issues-especially since they know I enjoy using Apple products.

What I'm not interested in reading is the "No one should buy or use Apple products/Steve Jobs sucks" rants. I totally respect your take on it, and totally respect your decision not to ever buy Apple products, or believe anything Steve Jobs says. You can even egg his house if you want. I don't care. But I don't want to have to wade through them in this forum, which is for people interested in buying and using Apple products, specifically in terms of reading and eBooks on Apple products, but also in a wider sense, how Apple does things.

And for what its worth, I've enjoyed the give-and-take discussions with people like Sonist, dmaul, dawn and LDBoblo, to name just a few who hold different takes on many issues than I do, and have different ideas about what they want in an eReader.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote