View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #316
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Maybe I will try the modded version of Charis SIL, but it has to be modded big time in that case. I've downloaded the normal unmodded version, but I really don't like it. Some letters such as "k" look really weird. Just as many fonts do in Linux, the "<"-part of the letter is very, very thin. Other letters such as "o" and "b" and so on have problems with the round parts.

If I would replace Caecilia, then it would be by a version of DejaVu Serif with added weight. If I can find a freeware/open source font editor to easily do that.

Oh; and Trebuchet is part of any Windows installation. Don't know if it's on the Mac too, but it probably is: it's a core web font. Because of that, you can find it basically everywhere, allthough it's not officially free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_fo...Included_fonts

It is a font designed for reading on screen, just as Verdana is. (Verdana 10 has been my default Windows GUI font like forever now, but I find it too broad/round for long texts.)

The fact that Trebuchet is designed for low-DPI screens, is probably also the reason why it needs some more weight on the Kindle. The lines are thinner than expected, as the Kindle has higher dpi/ppi than the screens Trebuchet was designed for.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-29-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote