View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #21
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by geenp View Post
Thanks for all the information everyone. I think I've made my decision. It's now between the Sony and Kobo and I'll wait till I get to see them in person before I pick one.
Good you picked your future reader. Let me just real quick respond to something that has not been mentioned in the answers before:

Quote:
I'm also considering the Bookeen Odyssey. It looks promising but I don't really know anything about it. Smooth scrolling, reflow and boot animations are nice but don't interest me.
In my opinion the Odyssey is not a reader for you. At least not in its current firmware incarnation. Yes, it does have a touch screen, but:

Quote:
Yes, the Kindle 4 ships here and it is sold in brick and mortar shops but I am reluctant to get one after seeing how easy stuff like the dictionary and notes is on the touch models, especially when compared to the Kindle Touch. If I did get a Kindle it would be the Touch or maaaybe the Kindle 3 for the keyboard.
Dictionary support in the Odyssey is at the moment only in a beta phase with really bad dictionaries. Note taking is as of right now a joke - you can add notes but they are ONE line. Notes cannot be viewed, they have to be edited if you want to call this editing. No going back and edit something in the one line, only way to correct a mistake is by deleting everything after the mistake and rewrite what you deleted. If dictionaries and notes is a feature you will use often, then the Odyssey is not an option.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Odyssey, but then I do not take notes when reading - the most I might do is highlight something or add a bookmark. I lived without built-in dictionary so long, that getting it supported right in the Odyssey is only going to be a bonus in the future.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote