View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #40
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well true, but we were actually talking about the converse of that ....i.e. when a book is PURCHASED legitimately. There should be some record of that. And while the opposite may not be true, there probably is a record or account or substantiation of the publisher/owner offering it as a free download at some point. And being so, I wouldn't think there would not be any occasion to have to "prove" it was purchased.
There's no record that allows my online purchases to be tracked to *me* if I took a few steps to prevent it.

Many are done through PayPal, which links to my bank account, which links to my identity... unless I close that bank account & shut off that PayPal account. The records are still there, but it'd take a court order to get them, *and* they'd be difficult to legally link to me in the future--if I move to another city, change my account info, change my name (all of which many women do when they get married), there's no proof that I made that purchase.

But tracking a legal purchase isn't the problem. The problem is that the *ebook itself* contains no purchase info. There's a record, somewhere, that I bought "Search for the Sun." However, that record doesn't prove that all the copies of it on my hard drive--lrf, epub, pdb, and pdf--are legitimate downloads based on that purchase.

Unless there's a claim that "purchasing an ebook gives you the right to download additional copies of it, from any source, at will," this is problematic. (At least, problematic for publishers who want to file lawsuits against those who have unauthorized copies.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote