View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Kindle OS is based on Linux. I thought Linux is much more robust and stable than Microsoft Windows.
I've not dug deeply into the Kindle OS, but it's my understanding that all programs are running as the root user, which means that they have a little more ability to trash things, though spontaneous reboots are usually not caused by problems in programs running in user-space, even as root. More likely there are bugs in the display driver or input driver that run in a ring closer to the kernel than user-space programs, with fewer protections. It's also entirely possible [though complete speculation] that Amazon has modified the kernel itself and runs Kindle specific things in ring 0 which is basically completely unprotected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_(computer_security)
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote