View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
I haven't got my Iliad yet (got caught by the new year shortage), but am planning to use it with Linux, so will be facing the same problems as you. But if you look at the Mobipocket Viewer Manual available for download here it says

Quote:
"For MacOS, Linux, or non-supported Windows users, you need a device PID (Personal ID) of the iLiad to register it in your Mobipocket account (in My Device List). The iLiad generates a TXT file with this PID code after opening the first Mobipocket book on your iLiad.
You can find the PID code in the Main Memory of the iLiad, in the Mobipocket_PID.txt file. You can also access this file when you connect your iLiad to the PC via USB; the file is located in the root of the ‘iLiad’ drive."
From using DRMd Mobipocket files on my Palm, I know that it's the device itself which generates the PID, which you then have to give to the supplier of the ebook, who then gives you an ebook coded with that PID to read on your device. There should be somewhere on the Libresco site to fill in the PID you've got from the text file on the Iliad, and then if you download the book again, it should work. (I tend to buy books from Fictionwise, and they allow each customer six different PIDs for different devices; don't know what Libresco's policy is).

If in doubt, try sending an email to Libresco about this; I've found them pretty good at answering technical questions in the run-up to buying an Iliad.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote