View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
Carl32
Carl32 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindel
I can only imagine how tediously you worked to iron out the "quote bugs" in this terrific series, thank you!! Also for making it available in mobi format for us Kindle folks

Of course, none of this would be possible without the great of Harryt in putting them all together for us.

Regards,
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajmahid View Post
For anyone who cares, I've attached ePub and Mobi versions of this luscious compilation -- so beautifully formatted by HarryT -- after (finally!!) manually correcting the "smartened punctuation" problem which, due to stray and inconsistent quotes throughout the books, ended up as "backward quotes" at the beginning of sentences when run through Calibre -- as I pointed out in my original post regarding this issue.

Some of the 93 sections (minus a few for TOC & titles) were worse than others; many times I had to stop my search & replace dead in its tracks when knocking against the formatting glitches that led to this issue. The most challenging was "Mapp and Lucia" (Book Four) due to the original use of a single quotation mark (') instead of the usual double quotes (") because of its use as apostrophes, entailing tedious scrutiny of every place that required a smartquote. I also tweaked some very minor formatting glitches...nothing very egregious, but what the heck? I was already wading through thousands of quotation marks

Is it a perfect fix? I'm sure a few stray "backward" quotes will be found, easily fixable with my savior, Sigil. Should I run into any myself when rereading the books, I'll note them and make all the necessary corrections in a subsequent upload.

In the meantime, for those who are as picky & compulsive as I am, I hope I contributed -- if somewhat slightly -- to your enhanced enjoyment of these wonderful and delightful books in the Omnibus. E. F. Benson's Mapp and Lucia creations deserve a much much wider audience!
Carl32 is offline   Reply With Quote