View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Trying to find the right one for me...

I've been trying to do the research and figure out which reader is right for me, but I'm still a bit confused, and I'm hoping you all might be able to help.

I do a lot of recreational reading of fiction books, and that's what I plan to use a reader for. I don't need one that supports PDFs or surfs the web or anything fancy like that, just something that'll let me read novels with relative ease. As for formats, I get the basics, but DRMs confuse me a little - and I don't want to get something where to read books I'd have to remove the DRM and then convert the format and all that jazz.

I've been considering the Kindle, the nook, and to a lesser extent something by Sony, and this is what I've managed to learn so far:

-The Kindle has the advantage of low prices and a large selection (though I've found that for books I tend to read, places such as fictionwise sometimes have more titles available) along with ability to work overseas, but I'm worried about the whole proprietary format thing - supposing, I don't know, something happens and I no longer want to/can't use a Kindle, but am stuck with a whole bunch of books in that format. I also heard about people's books getting removed from their devices without their consent, and that *really* bothers me as well. I'm also not fond of the way it looks...

-The nook looks nice, but had got the disadvantages of not being able to use gift cards for ebooks and of not being able to purchase books outside of the US (I may be traveling to the UK in the fall) From what I understand, I'd be able to purchase epub books from fictionwise if I wanted to and read them on the nook? I plan to wait until it comes out to see what users have to say about it.

-Sony is the one I'm most confused about (mostly with regards to formats.) I mainly don't understand about what exactly it can read - I've looked at Sony's ebook store, and titles I'd be interested in tend to be waaay more expensive than at other places. I understand that I can get a reader that supports epub and get books from elsewhere, but the DRM thing confuses me, and I don't know how to figure out if I'd be able to read books I got from elsewhere.

I'm just confused, I suppose. If anyone knows how to clarify, or has an input about what sounds like the right one, I'd *love* to hear it!
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote