View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
LucidDreams
Tech Reader
LucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hell, you will be even surprised by how well, sometimes, books/documents formatted for A4/letter size look when reading them as reflowed text.

Anyway, the landscape option is good for reading some small text PDF’s and if you manage to crop the white margins of the text prior to put them on the reader, it looks even better.
Thanks for the info, it's appreciated. As you've stated the 505 can actually work well with A4/letter size documents but even without reflow enabled (see link below). Of course that depends on the text size and how big the margins are.

8x11" Document - Landscape with "M" zoom on a 505

I also had a chance to play around with PDFill's free PDF tools - used the PDF crop feature to eliminate the blank margins completely on some PDF books I have. But I will have to play with those files on an actual 505 since the Sony Reader software doesn't handle landscape mode simulation. I also wonder if the 505 just "zooms" while in landscape to 1/2 page mode, regardless of what the width margins are. Since if I crop the blank margins out of the PDF files it would seem that it would display less then 1/2 a page (larger text). So it would be nice to confirm that on the 505.

I feel more comfortable now going with the 505 since I can easily tweak PDF books (eliminate top/bottom/side margins) and still keep it in a PDF format. Most solutions I've seen out there convert the PDF to image files which is not acceptable to me for an eBook Reader. Since that would mean converting again down the road for a new eBook Reader (larger display). And if I eliminate the margins on the PDF's for the 505 then that's something I can leave alone since it will only display better on future devices - less worry about how current/future eBook Readers handle zooming of PDF files. Now if only Adobe can get their act together since I did see a few PDF files that don't display graphics correctly in the Sony Reader software & ADE.

Last edited by LucidDreams; 01-06-2009 at 11:57 AM.
LucidDreams is offline   Reply With Quote