View Single Post
Old 03-14-2006, 11:17 AM   #9
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

What was the price for an original Palm Pilot? I bought a Z22 last year for $99. It is a pretty minimalist device, but it works well and was inexpensive.

Heck, I remember when having one at all was either an executive status symbol or a sign of serious geek cred.

CP/M was an operating system for microcomputers written by Gary Kildall and published by the company he formed around it, Digital Research. It typically worked on S-100 bus machines running Zilog Z80 or Intel 8080 chips. Part of the BIOS was open and patchable, which was how people got it to run on so much varied hardware. It was limited to 64K of ram, which became an issue fairly quickly.

I cut my teeth on an old NCR computer running CP/M that booted off an 8-inch floppy. I remember playing a version of Crowther (sp?) & Wood's Adventure written in a strange language called SAM76. The load time was incredible. I also did a lot of writing in WordStar, and sent the files to my dad's work to print on the daisy wheel printers they had there...you know, the kind that sounded like machine guns going off when they ran.