View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyG View Post
A lot of the books I buy, the Go just shows Beginning, Page or location, and the chapters following where I'm at in the book, which is unhelpful. A writer (who has a bunch of books in print) was putting a series of three together in one book on KDP, his first effort, and was having trouble with the toc. I told him about the Guide, but he was working with Word, which I know nothing about, so I wasn't much help. But he got it done. I bought the book, and the only thing on the Go to are Beginning, Page or location, Cover, Table of Contents, and End. I haven't asked him how he finally fixed it, because I figured it'd be something with Word, which wouldn't help me. I spent about three years building a big website, so I'm more comfortable with html.
Jimmy:

Somebody's confused, or mixing up their terminology, or something.

The NCX is the logical table of contents used by all ebooks (or should be--not every mobi has it). The HTML TOC of course is the ubiquitous "typed" toc that displays in MOBI (and, in ePUB3, will actually be replaced, but not by the ncx, but that's another discussion).

The "GO TO" does not ever display what's on the toc.html. The "GOT TO" only displays whatever is in the Guide, and on a mobi built now, only displays (usually) the three main guide items: cover, toc and beginning. The "GO TO" will not display the entire contents of the TOC. What Man2010 meant, I trust, is that the paperwhite will display the ncx as the TOC, when you click "go to TOC." It won't popup the entire TOC after you click "GO TO." The same is true on the Touch. I don't understand why you would not be seeing your cover. When you built your ePUB, did you mark both the cover.html file and the cover.jpg files as "cover," with the semantics?

I've never seen a mobi file that has the chapters that follow the one you're on in the GO TO. Can you grab a screenshot of a book that you have that does that, thanks? A mobi file?

Honestly, given that the vast majority of Kindle devices still won't show the ncx, if I understand your intent correctly, you are far better off just using the HTML.toc for the Guide at this time. None of the available options will display the ncx-toc as part of the GO TO menu--just the items listed in the Guide. Can you drop your ncx in here (nuke the text contents in large part, so that it doesn't take up an entire screen, thanks) and we'll all take a peek, vis-a-vis the cover issue?

When you say this:

Quote:
The Guide points to toc.html. Kindle for PC was showing the toc on the Go to menu before I put it in the ncx. My Touch is still not showing Cover on Go to, which is why I realized it was showing the ncx. As is usual with these outfits the guidelines are updated last, if ever. The Previewer is still showing the Guide items on the Go to, not the ncx.
...it confuses me, so I'd like to clarify what you are expecting to see, or think you should be seeing, versus what you ARE seeing. So that I have a better idea of what you really need to know.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote