View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
darkgrue
darkgrue has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darkgrue has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darkgrue has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darkgrue has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darkgrue has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: enTourage eDGe
Dingo Downgrade Performing Instant Reboot? Possible Solution

I bought an enTourage Pocket eDGe Dualbook in the recent Woot sale. After a day of use and fiddling, it degraded into a boot loop I could not recover from. I attempted to reload the "golden" Dingo software to reset the device to factory defaults, but it wouldn't complete the update. Instead it would briefly display the software update message, delete the update.zip off the stick, and reboot. It would then return to looping.

As I mentioned, none of the documented ways of recovering the device worked. I had an idea late that night that the recovery installer might be the source of the problem. I was able to resolve the problem, hopefully the method will duplicate my success for others who run into this issue:
  1. I downloaded the Golden Update (Dingo) for the Pocket Edge from
    enTourage: http://www.entourageedge.com/updates...ate.golden.zip
  2. I opened the zip using WinZip, and extracted the update.sh file, then commented out the section that verifies the boot.prop file on the device (appears to be intended to make sure you're targeting the right device with the update). This would be Lines 607-619.
  3. I then dragged the altered update.sh back into the archive.
  4. Finally, I then followed the regular recovery instructions as per https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=263. It's important to note that the Dingo downgrade is expected to hang the first time. You must wait 20 minutes (which is actually very conservative), then use a paperclip to press the reset button to turn the device off. You then reattempt the downgrade, which should then complete successfully.
I used a 1GB FAT-formatted USB drive, but I don't think that was the critical aspect.
darkgrue is offline   Reply With Quote