View Single Post
Old 08-07-2021, 05:00 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I think mangling in KOReader is sort of optional. You can set it that doesn't suck out scene breaks and special margins.

I find the Calibre eReader gives a preview similar to ePub readers using an underlying Adobe RMSDK. I find Kobo kepub is less accurate at layout than kobo epub (current firmware on Original H2O and Kobo Libra).

I never installed KOreader on the Kobos because the stock reader works. KOReader is good for reading ebooks that have bad formatting, though I usually fix those on Calibre. I use KOreader on the Boyue Likebook Mars as the stock reader is great for PDFS but rubbish at implementing CSS and so I read good epubs or fixed epubs on the Libra and ones I can't be bothered fixing on the KOReader on the Mars as it can override nearly anything.

I use Lithium on Android for epub. A lot of supposedly popular Android epub apps are abysmal at respecting CSS and/or embedded fonts.

Curiously I find the lower resolution KK3 using KF8 slightly closer to Kobo Libra and Calibre Viewer epub rendering of a converted file than the PW3 (both using embedded Publisher fonts), especially on image size.

I've tested epubs on LCD Binatones with Adobe option, they need the DRM free epub in the ADE directory or else the rendering is terrible. Also Sony PRS-350, Nook Simple Touch, non-HD Cover Story, Kobo Touch, Original H2O and Libra.

I've tested converted epubs on these Kindles in our family: PW2, Basic with no front light, a mysterious old Basic that has 300 dpi (no front light), DXG, KK3, PW4 and once whatever Kindle has a D pad and no touch or keypad (but it's not a Kindle 1). Basically the KF7 (old Mobi) is poor on KK3 and worse on DXG (stock fonts) and on any Kindle with KF8 (either using dual mobi or AZW3) the results are close to epub.

I use both epub checks in Calibre and where the ebook is from ODT via DOCX export I check that the epub looks the same in the calibre viewer with a similar size window / font combo to H2O or Kindle PW3 appearance, with LO Writer page set to about Kobo Libra size rather than paperback or A4.

I've also tested two kinds of format on a 160 x 160 Palm PDA and epub Android from 4.x to 8.x on 4.3" to 10" screens. Aldiko Classic is next best to Lithium and installs on the ancient 4.3" Sony-Ericsson phone.

So do the Calibre book checking and test / read on Calibre viewer if you have nothing else.

The important things are being able to read epubs you get (may need fiixing in Calibre or KOReader overides) and being able to produce epub 2.x files that work reasonably on everything. Amazon KDP is best fed with epub 2 and they convert for the customer's selected Kindle. Google Playstore Books and Smashwords (and onwards to Apple, Kobo, Scribd, Barnes & Noble Nook) use the same epub2 file.

If the epub2 book looks OK in Calibre viewer and passes both the checks in the Editor, then it will usually be fine on everything, though degraded on KF7 only Kindles. I do check any epub using new styles or features I've not used before on the Original H2O, Libra, 5" Sony PRS350, Aldiko 4.3" screen, Lithium 6" and 10", and converted to Dual Mobi on the DXG, KK3 and PW3.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote