View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #102
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Isn't that the difference between a "Standard Install" or an "Advanced Options"??
Yes. Except that Sigil's installer never really had any "Advanced Options" (other than clicking the box to associate .epubs with Sigil). And I'd sort of like to keep it that way.

So in the very near future, I believe Sigil's Windows installer roadmap is going to be something like:

1) check for a minimum of Windows 7SP1
(Sorry Vista users--myself included. The legacy version will still serve us adequately, though).
2) install Sigil
3) if no version of the VC++ 2015 runtime is installed; install one. If one is; don't.
4) The end.

It simplifies the process immensely at zero cost functionally (other than the loss of Vista - which was happening regardless of the Runtime issue). There's so much extra Inno Setup Pascal scripting going on to check for OS/SP-levels and registry queries to retrieve/compare redistributable versions that it's getting a bit silly. This will be a clean start.

I've never run into any scenario where a SIgil bug was tracked down to a specific version of the runtime. So I'm not entirely certain why we ever got into the business of updating runtimes on Windows in the first place (more than likely it was a much more ignorant past Me to blame--truth be told). Sigil will run equally well (in all my testing) with version 14.0.23026 - 14.15.xxxxx of the redistributable runtime. And if there DOES turn out to be any issues, we tell a user to uninstall their existing runtime and to reinstall Sigil which will then install the latest version of the runtime. Badabing.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-16-2018 at 07:57 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote