View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 10:41 PM   #16
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I read an article about the advantages of plexiglass over glass in certain situations probably 30 or 40 years ago. I don't recall the situations it referred to but I do remember that plexiglass allowed 90 times as much light to pass as does glass...

...Please don't take any of this as decisive. It's just a reason to wonder about assumptions.
Have had quite a bit to do with glass, acrylic and polycarbonate, mainly for marine hatches and windows. So -

In fact clear acrylic (e.g. Plexiglass, Perspex) transmits only about 2% more light than clear glass does - it varies slightly according to the glass. It has never been "90 times as much" .

The other common similar plastic polycarbonate (e.g. Lexan) transmits about the same as glass. It is generally softer than acrylic so scratches more easily and is less resistant to UV.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote