Thread: Troubleshooting Indexing
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Thanks for the replies. I actually did do a factory reset the first time and still hit the problem when I re-added that book. Also being able to identify the failing book was part of the problem, I was only able to do it by process of elimination. Which would mean only adding one book at a time which is a pain. And even deleting the book only worked once the Kindle was re-started. It seems like once indexing has stalled it needs a re-start to get it going again. (Maybe it would eventually have done so if I'd left it long enough)

Anyway I seem to have identified the problem which is good.

I tested mobi to mobi conversion and that didn't help. I deleted the book and downloaded the Amazon one (rather than the DRM-free copy I'd been using) and that still had the problem. So I tried changing the title in Calibre and re-doing a mobi-to-mobi conversion (so the change got into the file's metadata). This fixed the problem.

So apparently the problem was that the original title had a comma in it. Without the comma this problem did not occur.

I'm going to do some more tests tonight and see if I can provoke and fix the problem at will with some homemade mobi files. Once I'm sure this is really the problem (and also checked for any other problem characters) I'll pass it on to Amazon who can hopefully fix it.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote