View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #12
atanner
atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.atanner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Authors who believe their customers are all potential thieves who are stopped only by threats and physical restrictions are, of course, welcome to use DRM. It's not a "must" for any author who believes their customers are interested in supporting their career. Saying "I MUST lock this book up because otherwise, you're probably going to steal from me" is not going to build customer loyalty.

Elfwreck, you clearly didn't read my post, didn't understand it, or are speaking from your own circumstances.

Customer loyalty...wtf?

What customer loyalty do you think is related to a doctor that wrote the only step-by-step procedure to remove a lacerated spleen on diabetic patients over the age of 60? There is no follow up to this book, there is no loyalty to consider (not that they don't care about it...but it's not how this business works)...this is a one off project (similar to a PhD) they write it and move on. If he does write another book, it'll be in 20 years, and about another topic that has not been addressed by the medical community.

There are no competitors, nobody will ever challenge this product, and the group of people that will buy it is very limited. Like I said, these authors are targeting maybe 200 - 500 potential customers tops.

Is it clear now, or are you still thinking that everybody here writes novels, short stories, and are looking out to be famous and well know??...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
There are several kinds of "effective" must-be-online forms of DRM.
So according to you, which are these "effective" DRMs?
atanner is offline   Reply With Quote