View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 05:03 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Chris_Snow - different but similar ==>> Poor performance with large library

The upshot of that thread is that the performance problems appeared to go away of their own accord. But maybe there's something in the thread that will 'ring a bell/sound an alarm'.

Since mid Aug I too have a new system - I7 7700, 16Gb RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, and 2Tb SATA 3 HDD, and a GTX 1060 6GB graphics card.

For calibre, my perception is that conversion and some plugins (e.g. count pages and modify) are significantly faster, start up is a bit faster. I can't talk to 'normal' metadata editing as I do all mine in the book list

In that mode, performance is about the same - as fast as I can type, hit tab to get to next cell, and return to stop editing the row. Not as fast as Excel - but a bloody sight faster than form filling in dialogue boxes.

Out of curiosity I went into single metadata edit - it seemed quite slow. My memory is that I paid a performance penalty for editing in the book list; because the opf file is rewritten and the database is updated for every cell edited. I'm no longer sure that's true. But that could be perception.

One thing I recently 're-discovered' is that if you turn off the Animation Visual Effects, Windows 10 is much snappier (every where) - much more so than turning them off in Win 7.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote