View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 03:55 AM   #3
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
DRM removal is not illegal in the UK; there is no law which prohibits it.
I thought you'd say that, Harry

Quote:
Format conversion technically is illegal,
That's what I'm interested in exploring. Does removing DRM count as format conversion? If it does, then it's illegal, if it doesn't, then it isn't. I'd have thought there's a reasonably strong case for saying that it is format conversion.

Quote:
but nobody has ever been prosecuted for it, and the recording industry body in the UK has said that they will not take action against anyone shifting formats for personal use (eg ripping a legally-bought CD to an MP3 player).
I know that. I'm not asking because I fear that anyone will be prosecuted for it, I'm simply interested in whether it is technically illegal.

Quote:
Note, however, that DRM removal is very likely in violation of the licensing terms of the bookstore from where you've purchased the book. It is, for example, a violation of Amazon's T&Cs to strip DRM from Kindle books.
I'd be very surprised if any store that issues DRM'd books doesn't make it a violation of the T&Cs to strip it.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote