View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #13
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
I think you want to use <em></em> and <strong></strong> for italics and for bolds, because <i> and <b> are deprecated.

But I don't know why. I vaguely remember reading something about why, but I forgot. They make more sense to me than <em> and <strong>.
I believe we are supposed to use <em> and <strong> because they are semantic markup, whereas <i> and <b> are presentational. We are supposed to use css to describe how we want things presented, and only have the structure put into the text. It's a matter of purity, although how you present italics or bold in a text to speech transcription is an obvious case in point.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote