View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianContent View Post
Given that it is not possible to purchase and download direct as the Kindle does, what is the big advantage to a device with wifi? What do those of with wifi use it for?
I appreciate the willingness to answer all these endless, repeated questions from those of us new to ebooks!
We actually don't know what features they will enable with the WiFi. My basic expectation would be that it would allow for wireless syncing with your PC. They way you could subscribe to various news RSS feeds and have them automatically squirted to your device every day.

The second feature I could think of would be purchasing directly from the device.

The third feature would be access to some cloud based repository of your ebooks. Hopefully it would be a repository that you could add books you didn't purchase via some store. It would be really cool if they enabled doing this via MobileMe (for Macs) and Windows Live Mesh services. But, if not, I would be willing to pay a yearly fee to have this ability... to also know all my eBooks are backed up on the cloud. I keep hopping that Amazon adds this feature to the Kindle. I think someone said the eBookWise bookshelf allows you to upload your own stuff to it.

Any thing after that would be nice. A basic web browser perhaps.

But, you can't do ANY of the above without some type of connectivity.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote