View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 05:45 AM   #15
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
I'm thinking mainly of those of you who live in Europe. My daughter and I were talking about what it would be like to live in Europe and be so close to all of the surrounding countries, and how easy it would be to visit one country or the next. My daughter then asked... and I am paraphrasing "I wonder if they ever just get used to seeing the Eiffel Tower (as an example), thinking oh yeah, I see it everyday on the way to work... just sort of fades into the background..." or do these architectural and cultural monuments still give you pause and awe every time you see them?
Being born in a town with a mostly industrial background (beginning of the last century, leather- and textile industry, everything gone now) surrounded by agricultural landscape, I consider myself lucky having been washed up where I am now.

When I leave my office in the old part of the town I'm in it's only a few minutes on foot to the majestic old brick churches (cathedral sized) from the middle ages whose belltowers can be seen from miles away. Other buildings dating back to the middle ages and later times are there to marvel at too and the vast majority of them have been restored to look really fine during the last twenty years. And it's just a few minutes down to the habourfront too ...

Looking up to the old clock on one of the churchtowers while passing over the market place gives me a wider sense of time and history every day.

I just plain love it and never grow tired of it and I don't think I ever will.

(Even if one of those tourist-buses blocks the driveway to my parking lot temporarily again ... )

Last edited by beachwanderer; 10-29-2010 at 05:49 AM.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote