View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Ebooks at CES (pt 4)

In this installment I will cover the hidden and less well known exhibitors.

Irex
Maker of the Iliad and Digital Readers, this company isn't registered as an exhibitor, but does have a booth number on its website. I checked, and the booth belongs to Qualcomm, who I assume provides the 3G chip for the DRs.

Notion Ink
This company just announced a tablet running Android, and has said that it will be on display. I checked, and this company will be in one of the Nvidia booths (there are 3).

Qualcomm
This company was on my list for another reason: Mirasol screen technology. I can't wait to see it.

LiquaVista
This company has more cutting edge screen technology than you can shake a stick at (including epaper).

Popular Mechanics
I know it looks a little strange to have this company on my list, but I have 2 reasons to visit this booth. My original reason was that it was a Hearst magazine and I was going to ask about the rumored ebook reader (this was back before the Skiff announcement). Also, Popular Mechanics has been demoing a new digital magazine concept platform. I want to see it, naturally.

Nexar Technologies
I still don't know if this one is for real, but Nexar has a dual screen netbook in its product listings. I figure it's worth at least a walk by the booth to check it out.

NBC Universal
I confess that I don't know why NBC is coming to CES, but I bet there is a good reason.

Marvell
This is a CPU manufacturer, and it announced a new line of CPUs a couple months back. The CPUs have the epaper screen controller on the same chip. The Entourage Edge is using one.

Netronix
This is a key player in the ebook reader market, so it's something of a puzzle why they're not listed as an exhibitor. But Netronix will be at CES sharing a booth with Team Research, distributors of the Astak EZReader line of ebook reader.

Last edited by Nate the great; 12-28-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote