View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
but I think you are too harsh with the Buddenbrooks! At least, I remember finding it a page turner in my salad days - though admittedly I read it in an Italian translation, that might have been the difference - I read that Lowe-Porter's translation is somewhat stiff.
I read the Lowe-Porter translation and I still thought it was a page turner. It reads like the Victorian novel it is, pubished the year Victoria died (if German novels can be considered Victorian). Very different in tone from his modern work.

Kobo also has it in the Woods translation, at least for the US. I admit I blanch at spending $14 on a novel and while I'd prefer it in ebook given its heft, I think I will hie me to the university library today for the pbook.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote