View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Lemme fix that:

We have people who vote for their second choice because they'd rather read that than their last choice. Or, more likely, end up not participating at all that month.

MUCH better.

I admit it; I'm irritated when people use "fair" and "best" as shorthand for "what I prefer, but I can't come up with a good justification, so I'll use a loaded word instead."
The idea of the vote is to vote for what the individuals (us) wants to read most. It should not be based on who else voted for what or how many voted for what. It should be based on interest. If I am interested in a specific book more then the rest, the fact of who has voted for what or how many votes a book has should not matter. I should just vote for the book that interests me the most. Now because some have admitted to voting lemming style, we have hidden votes. Given the results of the hidden votes vs the open votes, I feel that the hidden votes give the truest results since lemming votes are almost non-existent given that we cannot see what's been voted for until the vote is over. Fair and best are not loaded words. Given that we have enough proof, we can see that hidden voting is the best and fairest way to do it. If you can prove that open voting will not give us lemming votes and is the best and fairest way to vote, I'm happen to listen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote