View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I'd very much urge people not to delete files from outside Calibre. Yes, there are things like database repair, but why damage it intentionally in the first place?
fair point

a better approach may be to create a new library of " good = non dup'd" books and gradually transfer the entire collection from old library to new, weeding out duplicates as you go

or dump the entire library out via save to disc -then let rip with duplicate finders on that folder. then add the results back into a newly created calibre library. once you are OK with that having worked, ditch the old library. run the main processes overnight, for 30k books!

there is no easy way for a program to "inspect" several alternative versions of a book & tell you which one to keep - you could take a view that smaller file size is more likely to have stuff missing - but that is no guide to quality of formatting , lack of typos etc.

personally, I never bulk -add to an existing library.
if I come across i big collection of books that I "may" want to read someday I keep that outside of calibre as those collections often contain rubbish quality conersions.

with bulk -add, surely there is a risk that calibre merges a poorer quality version into where you used to have a better one ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote