View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 11:00 PM   #30
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMan View Post
OK well, I have extracted the Prestigio firmware, and started to compair files...
That PER3052BW firmware is for different specs than the Next1, a closer match is the PER3072B which as of yet has no firmware available. I'm watching for it as I think it has more ebook formats as well as video playback support! It looks like such a sleek product; I would buy one if I could, but they don't sell it in North America.
Click image for larger version

Name:	per3072b.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	63431

BTW, I saw something in the Russian the-ebook.org that said another "Twin", the Citybook s701, is slated for Spring 2011 shipping! Where are these similar devices being sold...
Click image for larger version

Name:	citibook.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	63432

Quote:
Still trying to figure out how it checks for a firmware on the SD card. I will start rebuilding the firmware img file with files from both devices and see where I get. Might be the RKxxIMG.CHK files... Before it lets me change anything, I believe it will have to be a complete firmware change.
I think you would use the RK28DM_Setup.exe to install the firmware upgrade tool and load the desired *.img firmware and update the Next1's firmware. I don't think the .img is upgraded using the microSD card at all.

I haven't found any (compatible) firmware .img's and am really holding out for the Prestigio PER3072B's! I did manage to locate a similar firmware (firmware_Hyundai_HYV_C-700_v-1.0.5.zip) in a French forum for the JWD PMP-7100 liseuse. I've compared this firmware with the Next1's 150MB "hidden" partition and there are few changed files, as follows:
Code:
Comparing subdirectories:
- E:\Nextbook_Next1\firmware_Hyundai_HYV_C-700_v-1.0.5\extracted firmware img 
- E:\Nextbook_Next1\Nextbook_Next1_hidden_partition\150MB 

Differences:
 next1_mannual.pdf		        only in E:\Nextbook_Next1\Nextbook_Next1_hidden_partition\150MB
 rock2729boot.bin	  	        different(both have identical times)
 version.bin			        different(both have identical times)
 lang\japanese\cmap\h		    only in E:\Nextbook_Next1\firmware_Hyundai_HYV_C-700_v-1.0.5\extracted firmware img
 resource\bid\bmp0.bin		    different(both have identical times)
 resource\sid\stringid.bin	    different(both have identical times)
 system\base.rkw		        different(both have identical times)
 system\save.bin		        different(both have identical times)
 system\codecs\rk28_jbig2.rkl	different(both have identical times)
 system00\base.rkw		        different(both have identical times)
 system00\save.bin		        different(both have identical times)
 system00\codecs\rk28_jbig2.rkl	different(both have identical times)

-- 12 files listed

I've used that firmware .img as a base for reconstructing an .img for the original firmware 0.4.16 for my Next1, though I haven't tested it yet if it actually can be re-written to the Next1's on-board firmware. [EDIT: 29-Dec-2010 IT DOES WORK!] I've loaded it in the RK28DM.exe firmware tool and it recognizes it. I'm not going to try using it though, until I can get that Prestigio PER3072B firmware to work. I can then post it to mediafire.com as and when required.

Quote:
Will keep anyone interested posted as I play around. I may have to hit one of the folks up that bought the Slick for a copy of the system files from that device as well since it is 800x600 as well.
The Slick firmware may be a better match for the PER3052BW you were investigating, but it wouldn't match the specs of the Next1 (or PER3072B).

I think the key files to expect improvements would be:
BMP0.bin
Rock2729Boot.bin
stringid.bin
base.rkw
ebook.bin
pytable.bin
Right now my best utility of this little reader is Google scanned .pdf ebooks and any related .epub version (that I previously used with my iLiad, however, the iLiad is e-ink and is not backlit, which I truly desire!)

Another GREAT use is a comic book (.cbr or .cbz) viewer. I first have to unzip the files to their own directory and extract those individual .jpg's, but it's worth it, seeing it rendered in colour and hires (800x600 is better that my 640x480 REB1200!)

DeadMan, have you found any niche use for this product?

Last edited by nrapallo; 12-29-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: typo
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote