Thread: Embedded fonts?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #21
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by djloewen View Post
For me it's a matter of principle. In theory, the publisher designs the book exactly the way they want it to look, and that's what I want to see. Now I realize that we're still probably years away from such an ideal world, and that in practice, probably fewer than 20% of eBooks have actually had that much thought put in by the publisher. So, if Kobo is doing this to try to clean up the messes of most publishers, then, "I get it". But I still don't like it. I don't think it's appropriate for the device to ignore/override any detail, no matter how seemingly inconsequential, that is in the original file. Of course it hardly changes the actual reading experience, but it just doesn't sit right with me.
While I understand your position, at some point, it becomes pedantic. ADE itself isn't fully compliant with embedded formatting - ask any Arabic user.

Additionally, the official EPUB specs make it crystal clear that support for embedded fonts is not a requirement.

So, While it's a feature you may wish for, by nobody's definition is it a "bug".
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote