View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 02:10 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Jane, I expect you're right about the backlighting being very important to your readers. It was a topic of great discussion 'round here for a long time too. Oddly enough, it quieted sharply when folks got their eyes on the e-ink.

I think that MobileRead probably has more people for whom reading portability is more the aim, so weight, and battery life would the bigger issues to those folks (like me )

I don't mean to disparage Ebookwise in the least, but it is big and a bit heavy and can't compare to an e-ink reader (with proper power management, anyway) on battery life. Add to that the truly beautiful display, and it becomes a lot easier to imagine shelling out $350.

But what that comes down to is a difference in focus and need. If I mostly wanted to read in bed, near a power outlet, without a lamp, then I'd probably make the same choice you have, and keep the extra, what? $150? I fully understand your logic, it just doesn't move me much because my own circumstances are different, that's all.

I am glad that the Ebookwise works so well for you, regardless -- everyone should have a reader they're happy with, even if it's paper!

We are completely agreed that the Amazon thing is pretty hard on the eyes -- and I don't mean the screen.

One thing that should benefit all us e-readers, is that with several devices hitting the market, the pressure rises for publishers to get an extra-colonic perspective on e-books, and maybe even agree on one industry standard format (I can dream, can't I?), so that all readers can read all books, and we don't have to pay 2X hardback price for 15 year old books.

I like the idea of a poll. It would be interesting to do the same poll here and see how they differ. Maybe we could agree on a question and go for it? I'll gladly put one up on this end if we can agree on language.

Something like: How important is backlighting to you in in an electronic reader?
1) I won't buy one without it.
2) I want it, but it's not absolutely vital.
3) If the display, battery life and weght are good enough, I won't miss a backlight much.
4) Backlights? We don't need no stinkin' Backlights!

What do you think?

Last edited by NatCh; 09-19-2006 at 02:12 PM.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote