View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 04:19 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
@knc1: There might be some confusion about the age of my Voyage since you mention "new models". I have one of the first 2014 Voyages ever shipped since I pre-ordered about six weeks in advance, so my kindle isn't really a spring chicken anymore.
Not only are packages "model locked", they also have a "maximum build ID" lock.
The model ID never changes, the build ID increases with firmware builds.
Software intended to run on a PW2 (actually, the PW3, which is staying on the market longer than expected), are exceeding the previously set "maximum build ID".
So KindleTool (which is used internally by MrPI) had to be updated with a higher build ID limit.
OR
The packages had to be all re-packaged with a "nomax" style package - which defeats the model protections. Anyway, KindleTool got updated and coplate built a few of the critical packages in the "nomax" style (which is why the "nomax" in their filenames).

The PW1 and older do not have this problem, since they are no longer supported with firmware updates.

Note: PW2 introduced prior to KV == KV, one of the newer models.

(*) The PW2 is the beneficiary of the PW3's long production run because it uses the same SoC.
Only the i.MX6 devices are being supported with firmware updates (plus, of course, last year's Oasis, an i.MX7 device).
The devices using the i.MX50 series of SoC and older have no support.
(The TLS update last spring, that included the PW1 and older devices, was not in support of the devices, it was in support of the store operations (Amazon's revenue stream).)

Translation of all above:
Firmware for devices using a i.MX6 SoC (System on a Chip - the name started with the putting an entire IBM PC on a chip) are exceeding the planned on limit to one of the safety checks internal to KindleTool (and hence MrPI).)

Now how many of our non-techy users know what model series SoC is inside of their Kindle?

Last edited by knc1; 02-12-2018 at 04:36 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote