View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 01:58 AM   #10
bttrflii
bttrflii has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bttrflii has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bttrflii has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bttrflii has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm late to reply to my own thread, but I've been trying quite hard to get it done on my own. I sucked at it, but I really tried.

Like SnowLeopard, I had zero progress with ;log mrpi until I followed his example of installing the nomax jb hotfix. For those who come to this thread needing the same thing and who want specific instructions, scroll down a bit.

Unlike SnowLeopard, however, KUAL didn't magically start opening for me. I still get that application error when I try to open it even with ;log mrpi working fine. I have tried so many things that I can't even remember them all anymore. I even tried deleting every reference to KUAL in the directory system I could find and "installing" it again, which according to the KUAL page means just copying the azw2 file into the documents folder. Even with KUAL gone from my kindle that I could find, however, it still showed up when I ejected my kindle, so I'm not entirely sure I was ever able to clear out the broken one so that I could reinstall it. In case you're wondering "why not just touch and hold on it from your kindle, and then select delete", it's because I can't access any menu whatsoever on KUAL that way.

I read on one of the posts that if things are broken that you might need to reinstall MKK, but when I went to try that, everything in it was for the older kindles with nothing for the Voyage.

To quickly sum up what I've tried with links in case I'm in the wrong places, I went to 5.6.5 Jailbreak (closed-kindle) -- released! again since that's the jb post I followed. I tried and failed to find an MKK version for my Voyage at Mobileread Kindlet Kit. I tried and failed to reinstall KUAL from KUAL: Kindle Unified Application Launcher (v2.7), and I tried both the 2.6 and 2.7 versions of that. Even though the MrPI folders were still in my kindle, I did recopy them from MobileRead Package Installer but I don't think it made any difference since KUAL won't open anyway.

I did give putting the screen saver hack in the mrpackages folder again a shot and do a ;log mrpi on that, but though it installed, it didn't actually work. I'm still getting the default screen savers instead of either the "hey it worked" screen saver or my current book cover.

==
== To get the ";log mrpi" to work ==

Getting this to "work" actually means that you see text scrolling in a little box at the bottom of your kindle.

- Download the nomax hotfix
- Copy it to the root directory of your kindle
- Eject your kindle
- Go to Settings - Update
- After your kindle restarts, do a search for ";log mrpi" (no quotes). You should see tiny text at the bottom of your screen if it worked.
bttrflii is offline   Reply With Quote